Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber
The bestselling author of Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot, as well as twelve other books on the brain, takes an in-depth look at the science of anxiety, the reasons it is a normal part of life, and some essential guidelines for dealing with it.
Dr. Restak demystifies this hot topic in clear, accessible language and explores anxiety at every level, from the molecular to the behavioral. Along the way, he addresses such pivotal questions as:
- How does anxiety differ from fear and stress?
- Which areas of the brain are associated with anxiety?
- Can animals become anxious? If so, how does animal anxiety differ from ours?
- If we were free of all anxiety, would that be a good thing?
- Do we actually need a certain level of anxiety in order to be creative and live life to the fullest?
Restak provides guidelines on how to manage anxiety and make it a positive influence on your life. With the help of this fascinating and practical book, we can all learn how to control the daily anxieties that plague our lives and discover new ways to harness the positive effects of this often misunderstood condition.